Re: [NTLK] 4 Questions

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Sun Oct 20 2002 - 20:13:38 EDT

Andrew Thiel wrote:
> I have a non-upgraded 2000 (1MB DRAM, 4MB Flash, and a 4MB flash card).
<snip>
> 3. Does anyone know if PIXsolution (makers of implant 2000) are still in
> business? If so, does anyone have any experiences to share about the
> company's service and the quality of the implant? I want 220mhz, but
> would rather not have to flip a switch in order to beam, sync, etc.

Since Frank and Daniel handled 1) and 2), I'll handle the last two :)

As far as I know, yes. The most serious problem people have had with the
Implant is that some units will make the Newton *too* fast (just over 220MHz)
and cause it to be unstable, in which case PIXsolution should replace it for
you no charge.

Be warned that unless you have experience soldering things to SMT-style
boards, you probably shouldn't try to install it yourself. PIXsolution will
do it for you, or there are a few people around here who might arrange
something for you.

> 4. Here at the university there is 802.11b wireless access widely
> available, but they use something called "Nomad" which is an
> authentication system for getting an IP address. It requires SSL to
> work. My theory is that I need one SSL-enabled program to get an IP
> address, and then I'm home free to use any other net apps. Does anyone
> know of *any* SSL enabled program I might use for this logging in?

There is no SSL-enabled anything available for the Newton.