[NTLK] Wireless router that can bridge AppleTalk?

From: Michael Blazer (m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 20:46:03 EDT

Hi folks,

I'm about ready to take the wireless plunge, and I've been watching the
sales. In Canada this week, Future Shop has the SMC Barricade 7004VWBR for
CA$120 (about US$80), which is a pretty good price. But I'm wondering how
it handles AppleTalk.

It was mentioned recently on this list that SMC's can route AppleTalk on the
wired side and the wireless side, but not across the two sides. However, I
recently read a review that said the SMC Barricade 7004AWBR (note the "A"
instead of a "V") can do just that. But it's the one with a "V" that's on
sale.

Does anyone know the difference between the 7004VWBR and the 7004AWBR? Is
this a classic case of "A is for Apple"? I haven't been able to find this
info on SMC's site.

Or, does anyone know of a wireless router that can bridge AppleTalk across
the two sides? I assume Apple's Airport can do that, but it's a little
pricey.

Michael