[NTLK] Napalm - more info

From: Brian Parker (bunnyboy_at_sealiecomputing.com)
Date: Thu Oct 24 2002 - 16:12:01 EDT

Here's answers to a bunch of questions about Napalm-

IR
Sorry no IR either, I include that in serial communication. Its just
something I havent added yet.

ROMs
ROMs are copyrighted and are only distributed by Palm if you register as a
developer (free). They can be extracted from a real device, but its
easier to get them from Palm. Napalm stores the ROM in a soup, and
accesses it as a binary object.

Licenses
The core of Napalm is a C 68000 emulator I wrote 2 years ago in
college. The dragonball specific stuff is taken from Copilot (which Palm
used as a base for POSE). Copilot is copyrighted by its authors, and
changes can only be distributed with their permission. I haven't asked
for their permission, because I still expect to rewrite those parts
anyways.

Emulators? Who needs emulators? :)
I would also like to write apps (like my two games) but I am really a
hardware person. An emulator is the best "hardware" project I could think
of...

Mame/Gameboy/Atari/Apple2
Both of these are definately possible, and easier depending on the
procesor and because there is not a big rom file. The 68000 is really a
mess, z80 and 6502 (in most arcades) are much more simple. The problem
with these is the controls. How can you hold down multiple buttons on the
Newton screen? A keyboard would probably solve this, but makes it less
portable.

What would be really funny is a Mac Plus emulator, its the same processor
core as the Palm and uses less ROM....

Brian Parker
Sealie Computing
bunnyboy_at_sealiecomputing.com