Re: [NTLK] recharging issue

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 05:20:59 PDT

on 04/09/02 06:09, Omar at player000_at_noos.fr wrote:

> As I said in my initial post, I successfully managed to charge the=20
> newton with said adapter when I first got the Newton. Furthermore, I=20
> was very careful to buy a more expensive regulated transformer.
>
> Apparently, the booting process of the Newton requires more power than=20=
>
> regular operation or charging. Indeed, when I first tried charging it,=20=
>
> it didn't work either, until I pressed the transformer a bit more on my=20=
>
> power hub, which turned the power hub off. My computer and monitor were=20=
>
> on the hub, so they were shut down, and as soon as I turned the hub=20
> back up, the newton started.
>
> So I figured perhaps it doesn't like sharing its power supply with=20
> other demanding machines. Turned off my computer, plugged in the=20
> Newton, and voila! Afterwards, turning on the computer doesn't matter.
>
> So I'm actually under the required spec with the adapter, which=20
> shouldn't really be an issue. Charging took about 2hours last time I=20
> tried, is this considered long, short, average?

Compared to the genuine, 2nd generation Newton adapter with the Newton
rechargeable battery pack, it's slightly longer. With the Newton adapter and
the battery pack, it takes about 1 hour to recharge.

And based on your description of your problem, I would think that something
is wrong with the electrical outlet you're using. It should be sufficient to
provide power to both your computers, display and your Newton. Those devices
aren't that demanding, unless I'm missing something about your situation...

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin      AIM/RV: LaurentDaudelin    <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>
fascist adj.: [common] Said of a computer system with excessive or annoying
security barriers, usage limits, or access policies. The implication is that
said policies are preventing hackers from getting interesting work done. The
variant `fascistic' seems to have been preferred at MIT, poss. by analogy
with `touristic' (see tourist or under the influence of German/Yiddish
`faschistisch').