Re: [NTLK] need help w/deleting classroom applications on eMate, and more...

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 14:51:19 PDT

On 05/09/02 17:20, "M. Kadison" <m.kadison_at_mimarchitect.com> wrote:

> I have been tinkering with an eMate I just bought last week. I believe
> that it has 1727K internal memory... Is this amount correct, it is hardlly
> enough to load NetHopper, SimpleMail, and the NIE suite. I have only 17K
> available as free space, and thus have some difficulty (Is that normal? can
> memory be added to the eMate?)
>
> Is there a way to delete some of the built in applications like "Classroom
> Dock" and "Teacher Setup" ?
>
> I have upgraded to NOS 2.1 and that seems to eat up space too...
>
> Being that I want to use the only PCMCIA for an ethernet card, I don't
> think I have much room to expand the memory... or do I ???
>
> Laurent helped me out with the installation process of NIE, nonethelless I
> still can't get SimpleMail to even open under the in/Out box. It keeps
> asking me to provide a link to the Internet Setup. (?)
>
> Hate to take too much of your time, but even the minute tips from you guys
> would help me progress much faster than my current effort.

When you're talking about memory, are you talking about the value you get
when you do "Memory Info" when Extras is opened? I don't actually know what
is the space available in an eMate. You can certainly use a PCMCIA Flash RAM
card to give your eMate more storage space. That might help you get all
those packages. Usually, you would want to install only the absolutely
necessary packages on the internal store (or internal memory). So, that
would be the NIE suite and SimpleMail. You can keep NetHopper on an external
store (or Flash RAM card). Don't forget that the more you're adding data,
the more space these data will use. If your default store is the internal
store, then every name, appointment and note you create are stored on the
internal memory. Those items are relatively small, but they add up and they
also require some indexes for fast retrieval.

Doesn't the eMate can accommodate 2 PCMCIA cards at once, one stacked over
the other? I thought I read this, but I'm not sure. I sure hope that this is
the case, or, like you pointed out, you'd be seriously limited if you want
to use an Ethernet card. I'm assuming that it's the case, because I've never
read any complaint from any eMate owner that they felt limited. The only way
that you can feel squeezed a bit is if the eMate hasn't been updated. That
is, the internal memory to load the system and the running applications, not
the storage space.

Next, what SimpleMail wants is you to create an internet setup. Once you
create an internet setup, then SimpleMail will use it to connect to the
internet. You can create an internet setup that will use an Ethernet card,
and you can also create other setups depending if you're connecting to the
Internet differently, like with a modem. Then, where the beauty of the
Newton OS really shines, is that you can associate an internet setup with a
worksite (one type of information you can create in the "Owner Info" app). A
worksite saves many settings about the environment where you're using your
Newton. So, suppose that you connect to the Internet using a modem when
you're at home. Then, you would have to create first an internet setup that
will let you specify all the required information so that the Newton can use
your modem and connect to your ISP. You would then be able to create a
worksite that you would call "Home". Then, suppose that, at work, you have
an Ethernet connection to the Internet. So, you would have to create another
Internet setup and specify the connection type and the Ethernet card you're
planning to use. Then, you could create another worksite that would use this
internet setup and that you could name "Work". So, when you get to work and
you're ready to make a connection to the internet, you would just switch the
worksite to "Work" one and you'd be ready to go. Worksites can also save a
default printer. That's basically how you would use that stuff.

What I don't understand next in your message is what you mean when you say
"I have upgraded to NOS 2.1...". What did you do to upgrade? The eMate comes
with NOS 2.1 built-in in ROM, you cannot replace it, nor you would want to.

-Laurent.

COBOL /koh'bol/ n.: [COmmon Business-Oriented Language] (Synonymous with
evil.) A weak, verbose, and flabby language used by card wallopers to do
boring mindless things on dinosaur mainframes. Hackers believe that all
COBOL programmers are suits or code grinders, and no self-respecting hacker
will ever admit to having learned the language. Its very name is seldom
uttered without ritual expressions of disgust or horror. One popular one is
Edsger W. Dijkstra's famous observation that "The use of COBOL cripples the
mind; its teaching should, therefore, be regarded as a criminal offense."