Re: [NTLK] [OT] [att: Mac Gurus (ie Not Ed K)] Mac HD info

From: Marco Mailand (m_at_abasurf.ch)
Date: Wed Sep 11 2002 - 05:05:48 PDT

> i am fooling around with my [still for sale ;)] powermac 8600. it has the
> stock 2g [fireball i think] drive on SCSI channel 0 with ID 0. fine. now i
> am trying to plug in another 2g [seagate] drive. it also has ID 0, so i
> tried in on SCSI channel 1 to avoid a conflict.
If it is really on channel 1 it means that it is connected to the external
SCSI connector or to an internal branch of the external SCSI connector. How
can you tell that you connected it to channel 1? I think Apple's HD setup
doesn't tell this and you need better tools like Hard Disk Toolkit from
http://www.fwb.com/ . If it is set to SCSI ID 0 like your internal drive and
connected to channel 0 it is good luck that your computer started. Another
reason that it didn't mount could be the termination. If it is the last
device in the SCSI chain it has to be terminated by either a jumper (close
to the ID settings jumpers) or a discrete termination resistor. If it is not
the last device the termination has to be removed. If you don't do so the
results will be unpredictable like non-mounting drives or sudden loss of
data and the like. You have to check it out because there is no program
which tells you bad termination, this is the bad thing about SCSI. Another
reason that your drive doesn't mount could be that it was used in e.g. a SUN
or other platform and e.g. the auto-spin up setting (jumper) is wrong. Auto
spin-up should be enabled and spin-up delay disabled.

--
With best regards / Viele Gruesse
Marco Mailand