Re: [NTLK] backup, sync and install on macos x

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 12:57:39 PDT

On 12/09/02 15:03, "TT Mooney" <ttmooney_at_dilettantism.com> wrote:

>> Newton Backup Utilities and Newton Connection Utilities work under
>> Classic
>> in OS X. NCU is still unreliable, but if you're patient, you'll
>> finally get
>> what you want. Can't comment about NPI as I haven't used it.
>>
>> Writing an iSync driver is not enough. We would need a full connection
>> application running under OS X.
>
> well, i would think an isync driver would be one of three parts. then a
> package installer and a backup utility. and they should be principally
> network-aware, possibly ip-based (in a perfect world i could sync or
> backup from the other side of the world).
>
> i take it there's no known active development of tools like that? does
> anyone with experience using the linux/unix tools have anything to add?

There is actually some efforts that are put to reverse-engineer the
encryption used between the Dock on the Newton and the host application on
the desktop. Paul Guyot (who else?) is involved. I might contribute at some
point to help write the host application on OS X, as I have more than 7
years of programming experience with Objective-C and the Apple Cocoa
frameworks to build applications. I guess that once an application would be
able to natively establish a connection with the Dock, we could look up
iSync...

-Laurent.

bozotic /boh-zoh'tik/ or /boh-zo'tik/ adj.: [from the name of a TV clown
even more losing than Ronald McDonald] Resembling or having the quality of a
bozo; that is, clownish, ludicrously wrong, unintentionally humorous.
Compare wonky, demented. Note that the noun `bozo' occurs in slang, but the
mainstream adjectival form would be `bozo-like' or (in New England)
`bozoish'.