Re: [NTLK] Apple iPad

From: Joel M. Sciamma (joel_at_inventors-emporium.co.uk)
Date: Sat Apr 05 2003 - 02:27:41 PST

I'm still of the opinion that Apple will create no device that in any way,
shape or form steals sales from their laptops. A cheap portable computer of
any kind will do exactly this and considering that the Apple bottom line is
supported by laptop sales, I just can't see it.

A tablet Mac might be a possibility but it would have to be priced at the
same level or higher than any iBook or PowerBook as, essentialy, it would be
the same thing. The cynical side of me feels that even though they have the
Newton to copy, the gestural control of the tablet would be a shadow of that
on the Newt. Apple just are not interested in deep usability issues right
now.

Another possibilty for the "iPad" is that it's a WiFi screen that controls,
and is the display for, an existing Mac. This could make a lot of sense as
it would not have to have to be a full-on computer itself and would require
the purchase of a Mac (at least as a server).

You might be able to roam from network to network and still have access to
your machine and its data but without having to lug it around with you. As
for computing out in the field - tough, get a PowerBook.

Joel.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html