Re: [NTLK] WEP vs Airport

From: Darrell Greenwood (lists1_at_telus.net)
Date: Sat Apr 26 2003 - 17:21:33 PDT

On 4/26/03 at 5:49 PM -0400, Brian wrote :

>Although if you are being sniffed and the MAC address is visible of a valid
>user either after (presuming WEP use I guess) WEP is broken, I guess it is
>pretty trivial- and the MAC would be visible from the start, with no WEP.

Unfortunately WEP does not encrypt the MAC address.

>So I guess it really doesn't mean much, like a lock, it's there to keep
>honest people out.

Agreed, FWIW, as a test I removed the MAC address permission for my
iBook on my Apple Base Station. Using Apple software I could not then
join the network or sniff the traffic.

However, software which would allow one to join the network using MAC
address spoofing is freely downloadable.

Cheers,

Darrell

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html