Re: [NTLK] Installing Packages and Saving Info to a Card

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Tue Dec 23 2003 - 19:03:22 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: brian middleton
To: newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net <newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net>
Date: Tuesday, December 23, 2003 1:57 PM
Subject: [NTLK] Installing Packages and Saving Info to a Card

I just started with my Newton obsession and now have three (120, 130 &
upgraded 2000). I was using the 130 for day to day use, but now that I have
the 2000 I would like to use that too.

I was wondering if there is any disadvantage to installing and saving all
your info and packages to a flash card? I was thinking of getting a CF PC
card so I could have a lot of room and just juggling that card between
Newts. I know that I will need to use Paul's ATA Support for the card. And I
would install 2.1 packages directly to the 2000 so only cross-compatible
packages would be on the card.

I just thought of one disadvantage, I couldn't use a PC Card modem in my
130, if that is the one I was using that day, and have my info available
without some copying. But other than that?

Is this a common practice among Newton users?

-brian

-------
Quite a collection for just starting. :) As for disadvantages with info on
a card, none other than taking up your card slot on your 120 or 130. If you
use the ATA driver, make sure you back up a lot (you should anyway but with
ATA I would, especially with data). And yes it is a common practice among
newon users, espcially with 2000/2100 owners becuase the internal memory of
those units is flash based and have only a limited amout of write cycles.
So many keep programs and such on the internal and changing data on the
card. I would also go get a copy of soup mover at
http://40hz.org/SoupMover/ That is one great app that will allow you to
move soups from one store to another in the extras drawer (even if normaly
you don't have the folder icon). But again always backup before moving a
lot of data around, just as a precaution.

Oh one other note, you could get a external modem for use with your 120 or
130. I often seen them for sale. They are made for the newton and take two
AA batteries for power (or a newton power adapter). It is only 14.4 in
speed but if you are only checking mail that should be enough. Just search
for newton modem and you should find it.

-Dan

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html