[NTLK] Ricochet and the Newton

From: Mike O'Brien (obrien_at_leonardo.net)
Date: Fri Jan 24 2003 - 12:20:59 PST

        Since Ricochet is coming back (yay!) I figure I should mention my
experience. Yes, the Newton plus the Novatel Merlin PCMCIA Ricochet
modem is an awesome combination, but it didn't work so well for me.
Using the card had a tendency to cause the memory in my Newton to become
scrambled, forcing a brain wipe and a restore from backup. I originally
thought this might have been due to the voltage drop caused by the card's
power requirements, but it happened (once) when the unit was working on
an AC adaptor as well. The only thing I can figure is that the relatively
high speed of the modem caused a buffer overrun while the Comms job was
locked out by a higher-priority Newton OS job doing memory shuffling.

        So beware. The thing will probably work ok if you have plenty
of heap and plenty of free flash memory, but I wouldn't trust it
otherwise.

        And you'd jolly well better have a current backup.

Mike O'Brien

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html