Re: [NTLK] Who else? Newtons and SF bike police

From: Michael Detlefsen (mdetlefsen_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Jul 10 2003 - 21:31:23 PDT

On Thursday, July 10, 2003, at 12:43 PM, Mark Rollins wrote:

>> From: Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com>
> --snip--
>> main reason that the San Fransisco bike police stopped
>> using Newtons. They strapped the Newton to their
>> handle bars (using a shock mount) and ran a connector
>> to an external CDPD modem using a dongle (the cdpd
>> modem hung from the center bar near the bike seat).
> --snip--

The sticker on the back of a 2100 (a backup unit for my 2000 (upg)) I
got from eBay a few weeks ago says "BBC Property." I infer that the BBC
referred to is the British Broadcasting Corporation, but it came with a
complete medical database on it with all the info intact, so maybe it's
some other BBC. Patients were identified by initials, and the rest of
the info was in a very cryptic shorthand, , so it was meaningless, but
still someone should have erased all that.

This thing hadn't had a battery in it for quite some time I imagine,
but all the software was still there except for owner info. How long
will these things last before the stored items disappear?

Mike

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html