Re: [NTLK] Hardware, was a jaggies story

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Fri Jul 11 2003 - 17:35:59 PDT

> recall someone mentioneing would have been for a ribbon cable. Would it
> be possible to have the 'sticker' keyboard Jeff mentioned attached via
> this type of cable to the SER-001 (PCBMan?). That would be a very clean
> solution to the keyboard question. Can anyone with interesting links
> for

   Yes, the spot on the hinge is for a ribbon cable, intended to be just
such a keyboard. A ribbon cable could hook into the same port that
Ser-001 does (if it's not there), or hook onto the Ser-001 itself (this
might either mean a redesign of the Ser-001 with pads on the edge that
deliver the serial signals. I don't know if the internal port that
ser-001 uses carries all the serial channels, but it would probably be
best to use the regularly unused channel (3?) for the keyboard,
although that might mean that a driver would have to be written in C++
if that channel can't be accessed from newtonscript.

Jim

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html