Re: [NTLK] Best Ethernet Card?

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Tue Mar 18 2003 - 12:45:16 PST

Quoting David Mills <solidsilver_at_ntlworld.com>:

> I want to connect to my iMac via ethernet to avoid serial/USB and use the
> Newt for email on its own on the road etc. What card do you recommend? I
> have read the links previously posted and elsewhere, but wonder what the
> community elders recommend personally.

http://www.chuma.org/newton/ethernet/

I personally have always had a 3Com 3c589D - no problems. If you're
power-conscious, try to get an AmbiCom card - they're low-power, but hard to
find and maybe expensive.

You'll still need some way to install NIE and the Ethernet drivers before you
can start using Ethernet though, and so you'll need some way other than
Ethernet to install packages, at least temporarially. It's a Catch-22.

> Also, on my travels I haven't seen much in the way of printing. Can the
> Newt print directly except for using infra red? I am sure it could- but how?

http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/newton-faq-hardware.html#IIB8

To summarize that:

-With a PrintPack cable and the PrintPack2 driver, you can print to the
following types of printers via their parallel port:

Epson LQ, Epson FX, HP DeskJet, HP LaserJet, Canon BJ-10ex, Canon BJC, Epson
Stylus

This driver probably won't work on newer printers that are "dumb" and require
intelligent software control, which is usually built into their Windows drivers.

-With an AppleTalk serial cable or an Ethernet card and an EtherTalk-aware
printer on the network, you can print to any PostScript printer or any Apple
LaserWriter series printer. I personally own a LaserWriter NTR just for this
purpose.

-With the IR port on a 2x00 or eMate, you can print to HP printers that have
both IR ports and PostScript installed. This includes the DeskJet 340,
LaserJet 5MP, 6MP and later. There's a patch for this driver on UNNA that
dramatically speeds up printing via IR.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html