Re: [NTLK] Special treatment for newbies?

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_comcast.net)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 12:59:21 PST

on 03/24/03 3:01 PM, Martin Joseph at martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com wrote:

> I was just thinking (scary).
>
> I was wondering if it would be possible/desirable/easy to treat new
> list members a bit differently.
>
> I was thinking, perhaps when new people sign up, there first post (or
> two) could generate an automatic welcome message, which would include
> links to the FAQ and the archives, and then send there messages to the
> list dad (sorry Victor) for review/disposition.
>
> I realize this would generate more work for you Victor, but it might
> also reduce the steady flow of identical questions coming from newfound
> Newton owners.
>
> If people hate this idea, that's fine too.

I envision two distillations. First, a page that fits on some canonical
screen (800x600?) summarizing the list rules & etiquette. Second, a single
page summary of the top several FAQs, with links to the full FAQ. When
someone first signs up, send them an e-mail that their account will be
inactive for sending until they go to the URL where the two above pages are.
The procedure would be to enter their e-mail addy, then automatically go to
the two pages in sequence. Then a final page that says, "Congratulations,
you're cleared to post to NewtonTalk."

Yes, I know somebody could just speed through them, but if the e-mail
sending them to this URL mentions that the intent is to answer the most
common questions they may have, I'm sure at least *some* folks would read
it. Cast it as equipping the new Newt user with tools they're likely to
find beneficial.

Just a thought. I'm not sure anything really needs to be done, since the
most oft-repeated newbie questions are answered so quickly that they really
don't influence the overall content of the list much.

{As an afterthought... On the sequentially linked "intro" pages, perhaps a
3rd page containing key URLs to bookmark (UNNA, the list archive, the FAQ,
etc.), with instructions that these are highly valued resources that can
solve many issues and that the new member should take the time to bookmark
them.}

- Eric.

Don't let ANYONE else make a fool of you!  If you want something done
right, you've got to do it yourself!!
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html