Re: [NTLK] [Escale] Groups, Companies & Labels

From: Norman Palardy (palardyn_at_shaw.ca)
Date: Sat May 03 2003 - 09:34:06 PDT

On Saturday, May 3, 2003, at 07:58 AM, Paul Guyot wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> First, I have to confess that I never use OS X AddressBook, but I use
> my Newton's Names on a daily basis.

I use both daily and keep them in sync with some scripts I wrote to do
the import/export to/from Address Book

> I would like your opinion about how to best synchronize NewtonOS'
> Groups, Companies and Labels into the AddressBook.
>
> I did it mostly wrong because of my lack of knowledge of the
> AddressBook.
>
> Nicolas uses the AddressBook but he does not use the Newton much. We
> came to several possible solutions:
>
> - we can synchronize Newton groups as OS X groups. After all, they're
> very similar in the way the data is *stored*.

This makes sense

> - we can synchronize Newton labels as OS X groups. They're very
> similar in the way the data is *displayed*.
Or store them in the "NOTE" that is on every address book record

> - we can synchronize Newton companies as OS X persons. Trouble is
> that a Newton company shall be sorted under its name but it can have
> as many affiliates as we want.
> - we can synchronize Newton companies as OS X persons and OS X group:
> * the company would be a person filed into a group
> * affiliates would be persons filed into the same group
This is generally what I've been doing
It works, but it's not perfect either

> Finally, we can do a mix of the above.
>
> What do you think?

> Finally, I'm sorry to say that OS X addressbook doesn't handle
> birthdays without a year, so people in that case on your Newton will
> be born in 2920. If I remove the year, it puts 2003. The other option
> was to not synchronize the birthday for those, unless some OS X
> AddressBook expert has a better advice.

Unfortunately Addressbook does not seem to be quite as flexible as the
Newt and this is where the difficulty arises
AddressBook is not great at handling companies (or anything that is not
a person) where the Newt is very flexible

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html