Re: [NTLK] [OT] apple store hoe-down?

From: Christian Burk (cmburk75_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon May 05 2003 - 22:06:43 PDT

I was actually going to launch into my own brand of the lament about
the virtual creep, everything moving from physical to, well,
meta-physical, I guess. Certainly, virtual. The sensory feedback from
the scrollwheel and button is more satisfying. I notice that with my
eMac. On the rare occasions I actually shut it down and restart from
the power button, it just feels weird.

This is way OT for this message, but I'm going to make a confession:

After about a year now of using my newton every day, without exception,
for everything, dates, contacts, notes, all sorts of 3rd party
software, etc., I am throwing in the towel regarding the use of the
newton as an organizer. Someone's got a Palm Zire ($55 on eBay with
shipping) heading my way.

The reason is pretty simple: easy syncing. Today, it makes as much or
more sense to use palm products as anything else with the mac, what
with the address book and iSync (yes, I got suckered into keeping my
@mac.com account by paying).

Now, here's the deal. I do love, really love, my newton as a
turbocharged notepad and e-book reader. First, I've got a keyboard.
Second, I can then e-mail, print or fax those notes from my many
meetings throughout the day. For me, it is a fantastic notepad. With a
32 mb card, I've got plenty of room for notes.

So, that's the deal. It sounds more complicated, but it's not. I'm
going to export my contacts and calendar from my newton for the last
time (a process I dread), and use the palm for those purposes.

I know it probably sounds kind of dumb, but I guess I feel like I've
found the way the newton is going to work best for me. I thought I'd at
least come clean about my newton, palm love triangle.

Christian

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html