[NTLK] Creation of an off topic list?

From: Robert JA Basilio Jr. (boojie_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu May 08 2003 - 20:23:44 PDT

Hi All:=20

I share the moderator's frustration (irritation?) with OT mail. While I am
somewhat entertained by some of the messages and/or the opinions contained
in these messages, I feel that the moderator has been very indulgent and
lenient in letting everyone just post whatever they wish to post. Which is
not to imply however that the moderator has been remiss in his duties.

Like everyone in this list, I prefer to read, reply to, and receive mail
about the Newton, not about a basketball game, for instance, however wild
that basketball game might be.

So at the risk of earning brickbats from listmembers who come from
everywhere in the world and who seem to believe in every other advocacy,
political or otherwise, let me be the first one to propose in the creation
of an off-topic list, say, newtontalk-offtopic_at_newtontalk.net. That way,
Newton Talk members who are interested in exchanging off-topic email
messages with other members can have a forum of their own. Of course,
inclusion in the Newtontalk list doesn't mean that you're automatically
enrolled in the NewtonTalk-Offtopic List.

I'm not sure how hard this is going to be for the moderator but this
arrangement worked for the Philippine Macintosh Users Group, of which I am =
member. We used to have philmug_at_yahoogroups.com and that produced so much
off-topic email that the moderators created philmug-OT_at_yahoogroups.com. (We
also have a very nice interactive website www.philmug.org)

Robert=20

on 5/8/03 4:01 PM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net at newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
wrote:

> If the subject is relevant to the operation of the list, such as "why doe=
sn't
> the list operate in such-and-such way, what's with this quoting restricti=
on,"
> then that's not OT. I'd prefer that people send bug reports, problems wi=
th
> sending/receiving list mail, as 99% of the time these are localized probl=
ems
> that everyone need not be concerned with.

=8B=8B=8B=8B=8B=8B=8B
When a thing defies physical law, there is usually politics involved.
=8B P. J. O' Rourke, All the Trouble in the World=20

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html