Re: [NTLK] Map Books

From: Jeff Abbott (jabbott_at_ninewire.net)
Date: Sun May 18 2003 - 06:15:50 PDT

> Subject: [NTLK] Map books
> From: Edward Humes <ehumes_at_mac.com>
> Disclaimer: This would just be for my personal use, and since I
> purchased a copy of the map book itself, this would fall well within
> the fair-use doctrine.

Ed: Respectfully, no it doesn't. Printed materials don't have a "fair use"
doctrine in place; buying a printed version gives you no rights to a version
in another media. There is a new boilerplate on most books now (I just got
the page proofs for my next novel, due out in November), and the legalese
now includes the following:

"The scanning, uploading and distribution of this book via the Internet or
via any other means without the permission of the publisher is illegal and
punishable by law. Please purchase only authorized electronic editions, and
do not participate or encourage electronic piracy of copyrighted materials.
Your support of the author's rights is appreciated."

Whether or not the publisher would seek to block you from doing this is
entirely another story. The correct thing to do would be to contact them and
ask for permission to modify the map book CD files to work on a Newton. They
might ask for an assurance you won't be selling this or widely making it
available to others, even with Newton not being a common technology. Other
members on the list have tried to contact publishers for permission to make
Newton-versions of books and not gotten a response, which does *not* imply
permission, although some have taken it as such. I would tell them that you
use a very specialized technology for your field work and would like to
adapt the CD files to work with this specialized handheld, and that the
modified version would NOT be readable on desktops, Palms, PocketPCs, etc.

Good luck and I hope that works.

Regards,
Jeff

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html