Re: [NTLK] Syncing NewtWorks in MacOSX+

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Mon Nov 10 2003 - 11:57:49 PST

On Monday, November 10, 2003, at 05:59 AM, irfon_at_ambienautica.com wrote:
> <snip>

> For those of you who are actively using NCU in Classic, what interface
> are you using? AT through a network card? USB serial port? The
> GeeThree people got back to me and said that their product can't be
> made to work through Classic -- it's real OSX or real OS9 only.

hmmm, that seems odd but is good to know. I would have guessed if you
removed the OSX driver then the serial port would work from classic. So
good thing I didn't guess.

I use Ethernet to hook to my MP 2000u. This works both from OSX
package installer (escale) as well as from classic via appletalk. You
need to have OSX set to use appletalk in the network system preference
pane... Some people have described rebooting to 9 to set Appletalk to
ethernet in 9, I don't think this should be necessary.

Also, to install packages only you could use Newten from OSX native
over the stealth serial port. Of course for backups you'll need to get
NCU working at the moment. I am looking forward to a newer release of
Escale which will allow for backups and syncs as well as package
installs.

If there is a newer escale already that does the above already, my
apologies (I'm fishing).

The new AIM software client looks pretty cool, and it's great to see
Dr. Newton still around and cracking newtons. He is highly
recommended...

Marty

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html