[NTLK] FAT Support through APIs: Was Re: newtontalk Digest V3 #549

From: Andy Collins (acollins_at_newted.dyndns.org)
Date: Mon Oct 20 2003 - 08:55:50 PDT

Hi,

At 16:18 20/10/2003, you wrote:
> >Paul Guyot wrote:
> >> Yes, this is it. As in you take the card, put it in the camera, take
> >> a picture, take the card out, put it in your Newton (with some
> >> adapter if required) and then you'll be able to
> >> view/e-mail/beam/delete the picture.
> >
> >Any app around that can do this already?
>
>No. The idea is to export public APIs and publish open source apps
>that would do that with ATA Support. I'm considering four things:
>- backups to/from files.
>- MP3 playback from files (using Mad MAX)
>- JPEG picture viewing, with the possibility to route them (e-mail &
>beam) and to delete them.
>- Text import/export (probably without styles).

Does these mean that a standard Newt app couldn't use a CF card with FAT
layout?
If so, that would be a shame. Would it not be possible for ATA driver using
FAT to store Newt Soups as files? That way I could backup easily by
dropping the CF card in my Laptop. I could also drop MP3s on to the card
and use some other (TBA) app to add them to a Newt soup (that may also
exist on the same card).

Cheers.

Andy.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html