[NTLK] "Minor" publication setback :O( {Owner's Manual Conversion Project}

From: MKow1234_at_aol.com
Date: Mon Apr 12 2004 - 12:34:25 PDT

Well, I attempted to run a test conversion the other day (final process for
creating books in NewtonPress). Unfortunately, the application kept crashing.
It appears there is a limit as to how large of a file the NewtonPress can
"digest". I was trying to turn a 5 meg NP! file into a NewtonBook pkg. I'm glad
that I found out before I added all of the images to the book!

There has also been a problem with the legibility of the pasted images (I
call this, "pixiliation").

So here's where we're at:

I can probably spit out a NewtonBook for the complete owner's manual, sans
pictures, within the next day or two. However, it might be frustrating for
newbies to use such a manual w/o diagrams.

Another option is for me to try to break the owner's manual up into smaller
portions and then add images to each file. The result would be a four-volume
set for the owner's manual. This would take longer than I originally
anticipated, due to problems with file sizing, image pixiliation, etc. I am
considering (although I am not excited with the prospect of) using Photoshop to reduce
each bitmap file size prior to placement within the NewtonBook. Wouldn't that
be fun?

So I guess the question is, would a text-only version of the manual still be
useful to the Newton community?

Matt K.