Re: [NTLK] CF Cards

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 13:58:54 PDT

Goodwin, Greg wrote:

> I have a 1 gig microdrive, and it worked... ok.
>
> Honestly at this point in time, understand I support development
> on the Newton, and the ATA cards work in a pinch, but I currently find
> ATA cards cool to have such large stores, but what is the point of more
> than 40 mb when...
>
> .... you use you most of the system heap memory reading the directory
> after a while?

Yes that is why it is best to have a bunch of smaller cards/partitions
than one large one. It just slows down the system too much. But
thankfully Paul's driver allows for this and you can have several
partitions mounted at a time. Though myself I would probably only have
one or two smaller ones at most.

As for loading time (although this should diminish with smaller
partitions), perhaps Paul can add FAT support. I know it has been
talked about. If he does then you could load data to a card with a
desktop, then plug it in your newt and go.

-Dan