Re: [NTLK] AW: AW: Organizing contacts?

From: James Nichols (smilr_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Aug 24 2004 - 00:48:50 PDT

While close to what the newton does with screen-edge clipboards, until
panther they haven't been nearly as flexible as the newton method.

Consider that what you have done is made a file, drag and droppable,
between most applications - but WHERE is this file loacated? Most
likely the desktop, which means that to use it, one must drag content
out of one program, switch to another, and possible move the windows or
pallettes of that program around so you can SEE the clipping on the
desktop before dragging it into the new program. Panther aleviates some
of this with expose - drag out, switch apps, one key for expose and
there are all your clippings, drag to "pick one up" release expose and
drop it in. Much better, but still fundamentally flawed - the clippings
are only ever accessable FROM THE FINDER. Also - not every program is
properly drag and drop or clipping aware - some programs like iPhoto
will actually export full copies of what you drag out as individual
files, rather than one clipping, while others simply fail to let you
drag a clipping into them, they don't support it.

The newton on the other hand implements these screen edge paste-boards
at the OS clipboard level, which every program has at least rudimentary
handling for. Plus, these "clippings" are accessable no matter what
program you are in, no need to swap focus to the finder first.

I really wonder if apple has patent / copyright / further IP rights on
this technology - as I would really like to see it implemented in os X
... hmmm....

J. Tyler Nichols
~ Insert Witty comment Here~