Re: [NTLK] emate audio recording

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Thu Dec 16 2004 - 10:30:27 PST

On Dec 16, 2004, at 6:07 AM, Sonny Hung wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 11:37:52 +0100, Robert Benschop
> <rbenschop_at_telebyte.nl> wrote:
>> Why? If you don't need a separate driver for a mic through the NIC
>> port
>> and if the serial connection uses the same connections, wouldn't it be
>> possible without a driver?
>
> Does anyone know for a fact that the Audio can go in via the Serial
> Connector to the NIC or SER-001 as is? My understanding (looking at
> the specs) was that it is not able to use those Audio connections
> through Serial Connection as is. If this is the case then likely it
> would be necessary to have special driver to re-direct the signal? Am
> I incorrect in this assumption?
> --

The NIC carries the Mic signals, on the emate at least for sure, I
suspect it does on the MP2000/2100 as well. The Serial port DOES NOT.

That is why when Robert asked about a mic in for SER-001 I suggested it
was a new idea and a new driver would also be needed.

There is no "mic in" on the old school mac style serial port, but it
is conceivable to make a mic that converts its data stream to a serial
one. Sort of like all the USB audio products do on newer machines. It
is a bit far fetched though.

Marty