Re: [NTLK] [OT] Sudden monitor death

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 09:29:58 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: Laurent Daudelin
To: NewtonTalk <newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net>
Date: Friday, February 06, 2004 11:29 AM
Subject: [NTLK] [OT] Sudden monitor death

Yesterday evening, all of a sudden, the picture shrank toward the middle of
the screen and was very fuzzy. I could barely see what was on the screen,
much less move the mouse pointer. I tried to switch the resolution by
guessing the location of the display menu in OS X.

At some point, the picture disappeared completely. I forced the computer to
restart but the picture never came back. I put back my Studio Display 17 and
all was fine. So, the problem is definitely with the Studio Display 21.

So, what are my options? Could I have it repaired for a reasonable fee? I
don't want to spend a lot of money on it because I'm afraid it could break
again. I've read that those problems where the monitor seems dead are the
easier to solve.

In the event I want to dispose of it, what can I do?
---------------------------------------
Well to me it sounds like your flyback transformer went poof. And if that
is the case, it is time to junk it, unless you know someone who is local
that has the same display with something else wrong with it you could steal
parts from (it would cost way too much for shipping I would think, unless
they are willing to just pull the part and send that).

As for junking it, you need to look around in your local area for disposal.
There are computer recycling centers that would take it. Otherwise you will
have to find some garbage facility that will accept it (and probably charge
you for disposal)

-Dan

P.S. I have not owned a Apple monitor, but having heard of such problems
before with monitors in general, I very much doubt it is worth fixing.
Hopefully I am wrong and someone else on the list knows of a easier fix.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html