Re: [NTLK] NCU and Windows XP

From: Newtopia (MicroSSG_at_Comcast.net)
Date: Thu Feb 12 2004 - 10:28:00 PST

Rich,

I had to remove some competing hardware (I think iR and a non-existent Comm)
to free up Comm3, then added hardware (my USB to serial converter) to Comm3.
Then re-booted to let the old hardware find a new home. I've read that Comm3
is preferable, why I'm not sure. This allowed me to gain access to this port
and then it also showed up in NCU.

Then the real fun starts, good luck. For sure you'll want the modified
ncu.exe that accommodates the 57k protocol and maybe need the slowdown.exe
utility depending the speed of your machine. Also get used to seeing a new
behavior in XP, black screen of death - inevitably your machine will
spontaneously reset - skipping the traditional "Blue Screen of Death". I
wish I knew what caused this.

Good Luck!

Regards,

Paul Curtis - USA/OR
MP 120 v2.0/130/2100
Michigan State Spartans - Go Green! Go White!