Re: [NTLK] Ladys and Gentlemen, we have a new rumor!

From: Nathan Turnage (nturnage_at_andadv.com)
Date: Fri Feb 13 2004 - 07:25:16 PST

Eric Engle wrote:
-> Of COURSE I want to believe apple is making a PDA. OF COURSE I would
buy the
-> PDA. BUT the market was saturated according to Jobs and Apple was in no
-> financial condition to contest it (which was true). The market is
even more
-> saturated now, though apple is in better condition financially.

1. Wasn't the MP3 player market completely saturated before Apple came
along and shook things up?

2. Wasn't the availability of MP3s drying up before Apple came along?
Before iTMS nobody was selling MP3s/AACs/Music online. Now it is the
latest fad in the industry, and Apple has some 70-80% market share.
Portable devices are the wave of the future, and Apple has taken the
lead. Where they go from here is anyone's guess, but after online music,
movies are next, and I have a hard time believing that SJ can't see that
one coming. I mean, he is the head of the best animation house in the world.

3. I remember reading back in the early days of SJs return to Apple,
that there were engineers working to spin off Quicktime as an operating
system of its own. Considering what can now be done with Quicktime I,
for one, can see the fruits of that one with my own eyes. Just look at
how the iPos OS has evolved since the first devices appeared, what two
years ago, and what it is now capable of. Just about the only thing
can't do on it is enter text on a Newton-esque touchscreen.

Not to feed into this rumor too much, I think something is definately in
the works. Larry Ellison, was talking about new portable devices coming
from Apple a long time ago. I think it really is only a matter of time
before it happens, but I won't be holding my breath.

-N

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html