Re: [NTLK] Apple, Design and "Different" (Was: "Where would Newton would be today)

From: Norman Palardy (palardyn_at_shaw.ca)
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 12:36:12 PST

On Feb 23, 2004, at 12:26 PM, Jared Bland wrote:

> Apple, hear my plea! Bring that "WOW" factor back into your computers
> and the OS they run. Thin and light no longer mean "different". Show
> us the light, Apple - like you did in 1984, 1998 and 2001.

I'd tend to disagree on that front.

For one, if you looked at the rest of the portable market when Apple
introduced the TiBook, everything else was black, including Apple's
Pismo.
They brought in a stunning looking machine that ran very nicely.

They were the envy of everyone else.

I worked in a reasonably large company at the time (2000 employees in
one building) and was the ONLY person who had one as I was a contractor
and brought my own in. I had nothing but visitors wanting to know what
kind of computer I had because it was obviously not a corporate IBM
ThinkPad.

This was running OS 9.

When I put OS X early developer releases on it everyone stopped by
again. I spent days showing this stuff off.

And, because it was now a Unix workstation people were lining up at the
IT department to request one.

They were the envy of everyone.

Now, they are copied in style, but not substance.

The OS, I feel, is way better than it has ever been, and will simply
get better.

The iBooks are similar, except they went from "fruity candy colors"
that no one in the corporate market would ever own, to a beautiful
highly functional bright white. I like their looks.

We will all have our own likes and dislikes about Apples designs. but,
they continue to win over converts and continue to win design awards.

And, if you don't like the color there is always paint.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html