Re: [NTLK] [OT] Apple, Design and "Different" (Was: "Where would Newton would be today)

From: Jared Bland (jrbm689_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 12:57:38 PST

On Feb 23, 2004, at 3:36 PM, Norman Palardy wrote:

> On Feb 23, 2004, at 12:26 PM, Jared Bland wrote:
>

>> Apple, hear my plea! Bring that "WOW" factor back into your
>> computers
>> and the OS they run. Thin and light no longer mean "different". Show
>> us the light, Apple - like you did in 1984, 1998 and 2001.
> I'd tend to disagree on that front.
>
> For one, if you looked at the rest of the portable market when Apple
> introduced the TiBook, everything else was black, including Apple's
> Pismo.
> They brought in a stunning looking machine that ran very nicely.
>
> They were the envy of everyone else.

1984: Macintosh
1998: iMac
2001: PowerBook G4

> The OS, I feel, is way better than it has ever been, and will simply
> get better.

You're saying panther is "way" more stable, eye-pleasing and functional
than Jaguar?
I beg to differ.

1: Stability has gone down the tubes. I feel like I'm in OS 9, except
when an app quits unexpectedly (rather than expectedly in Jaguar -
where it only crashed if I was doing something I shouldn't have been) I
am prompted with an annoying submit crash form window and it doesn't
take down the entire OS (usually). I've gotten atleast 1 KP in Panther
so far. I have lost much work in Panther and it is annoying.

> The iBooks are similar, except they went from "fruity candy colors"
> that no one in the corporate market would ever own, to a beautiful
> highly functional bright white. I like their looks.

iBooks so went from "quality" to "...not". Logicboard problems,
anyone? PowerBooks, white screen spots (even my 12" PB Rev. A has
them!)
Apple's internal and external quality is not as good as it was before.
Machines are more cheaply made (in contrast to less expensively made)
and that is showing. Machines are nice, but quality has bitten the
dust. How many times do I have to go over this? Twice, I hope. Apple
is LOSING converts because people's first Macs, which alot of the time
are iBooks or PowerBooks, are breaking. It's perceived quality - and
this time perceived quality does not lead into the same amount of true
quality.

> We will all have our own likes and dislikes about Apples designs. but,
> they continue to win over converts and continue to win design awards.
>
> And, if you don't like the color there is always paint.

I don't really have a problem with the color, in particular. It's just
the machine as a whole. It's uninspiring. TiBooks were amazing
machines. Thin, light and something completely different from the
previous design. AlBooks are a continuation of the design (but
cheaper). I hope you're understanding this. AlBooks are very
different from what we had 4 years ago, but they are almost a replica
of the machines 3 years ago (except a lower build quality).

I want to thank everyone for their responses. Very interesting to read
your views. I'd like to hear more. If you want to iChat, I'm
"JrbM689".

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html