Re: [NTLK] .sit files, how do you install them?

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Thu Jan 15 2004 - 09:47:50 PST

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 01:20:06PM -0800, Newtopia wrote:
> Ahhhhhhhhhhh - thanks to you and Dan!
>
> Is stuffIT a perennial favorite of Mac addicts or am I just to engrained
> with PKZip? I might be showing my Windows background?!?

Stuffit handles the old twin-fork Mac HFS file structure, and the more
detailed directory information that HFS likes to use. The Newton .pkg
files don't store anything vital in the resource fork, so the same .pkg
files, from either a .zip or a .sit file will work just fine, and text
files are at least readable cross-platform, if less than pretty. The
best of all possible worlds has newt stuff packaged in .sit files, with
DOS-style plain text documentation and READMEs included. Then everyone's
minimally inconvenienced.

--
16. I will never utter the sentence "But before I kill you, there's just one
    thing I want to know."