Re: [NTLK] newton questions

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Sun Jul 11 2004 - 07:43:23 PDT

>On Jul 10, 2004, at 7:25 PM, Dan wrote:
>--A lot of good info that corrects my mistake--
>
>Okay - I was wrong to call it a "Hard reset" - I've personally used
>that term for what I described, and 'Brain-wipe' when I meant the
>'erase everything from flash' type reset commonly referred to as 'Hard
>Reset'

It can be called either actually. I was just using both terms as it can be
confusing to new members. :)

>according to this page (newton faq)
>http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/newton-faq-nos.html#IIIB2
>
>What I was talking about as being equivalent to a pram reset is the
>"Power Drain-reset" for the mp2x00 devices. Yes, data is stored as
>flash on these machines - meaning all your packages and information is
>safe during a power-drain reset, a few settings appear to be in
>volatile ram - fed by a capacitor or the batteries - letting this
>capacitor drain is what I believe the power-drain reset accomplishes.

As far as I know the only settings that are lost during a lack of power for
a perlonged period on the 2x00 models is a reset of the clock and the pen
calibration. That is it. All other settings are in Flash. If I am wrong,
perhaps Frank, or someone much more hardware knowlegeable can correct me.

>Don't try it on the mp1xx models - some (all?) of them use volatile
>sram to store everything, so draining them in this manner WOULD erase
>your data.
Yes, the same as a "hard reset" aka "brain wipe" :)

>Again - sorry for any confusion I may have caused over the terms - and
>thanks to Dan for putting me in my place ^_^;

Nah never put you "in your place" just lending a helping hand. :)

-Dan