Re: [NTLK] newton questions

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Sun Jul 11 2004 - 07:57:10 PDT

>>2.Is there any routine matinence i need to do? Like on a mac thety
>>recoment that you zap the pram and rebuild the desktop once a month.
>
>No. Just pull a backup once a month.

Personally I would do it more than that, but then my data changes a lot
daily. Depends on your personal use and tastes. But defintily make a
backup once a month. Newton Connection Utitlies (NCU) is probably your best
bet. Or Newton Backup Utilites (NBU). NCU has more features though.

>>4.Can i restart the newton with out pressing the reset swithch?
>
>Yes. There are third-party applications that allow this, like Sleep Aid
>(part of ICS NewtCase) and Vitamin A (by Standalone Software). There are
>commercially marketed apps, you might find them at their creators websites
>or (with patience) on Ebay. NewtCase is much recommended!
>
>Are there any shareware or freeware apps that do this also - possibly by
>Nick or SBM or somebody like that? (Paging Eckhart K. - might be nice to
>include something like that in Small Extras...)

Another package that is totally free and will do this (among other things)
is tap bar. It is on unna under utitlies/menus. The power module buttion
when you hold down your pen on the buttion till you hear the "squeek" will
reset the machine. Just taping that buttion will turn the machine off and
let you save the power switch.

While I love Sleep Aid, I no longer use it becuase it keeps track of the
battery usage to give a estimate of remaining time till the battery is out
of power. However to do this is writes to the Flash RAM every minute to
keep track of the time the Newt is on. And since I try to use as little
Flash cycles on my 2100 as possible on the internal storage.....I now use
Tap Bar to turn off the Newt and do resets (among other things).

Some people say it does not matter and that Flash RAM in a Newton will last
longer than I will, but I wonder about that so I play it safe and try to
make my Newt last as long as possible. :)

>>5.Should i restart the newton every now and then like you should do
>>on a regualr computer?
>
>Why? If you don't use it, it will simply go to sleep by itself to save
>power, so no prob.

Agreed, although I this it should mentioned that "restart" and "reset" are
both interchangeable in this case. Both mean to press the reset buttion on
the back or use a software method that is equlivent of pressing the buttion.

-Dan