[NTLK] [OT] iMac G3 Tech support / Buying advice

From: Stanley Yep (stanalfa_at_infonegocio.net.pe)
Date: Sun Jun 20 2004 - 17:59:57 PDT

Hello,
I have the chance of purchasing an iMac which I plan to upgrade and/or repair.

I have been offered the following two for about the same price:

1- iMac G3 350MHZ Indigo w/CD-ROM standard in MINT condition.

2- iMac G3 500MHZ Indigo w/CD-ROM upgd with IDE 60GB + 384MB RAM with a defect in the video output (has some dot/little bar besides the prompt always and the image gets solarized when playing a video)

In case #1, I would like to upgrade to at least a 400MHZ processor so I can run iTunes and Firewire and add a DVD-ROM/CD-RW.

In case #2, I would like to replace the defective part and add a DVD-ROM/CD-RW. I do not know which may be the replacement part and how expensive it may be. Is it the complete motherboard, or is there a daughterboard, or is there a video card.

If I can get the 350MHZ to the 500MHZ standard within a reasonable cost, I would prefer it because it is a MINT and very little used computer.

If the replacement part on the 500MHZ is not expensive, and the upgrade on the 350MHZ is too expensive, I would get it.

I would appreciate any advise on this regard and the cost of the upgrades and/or replacement parts on both cases so that I can make a decision.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
Stanley Yep
Lima, Peru