Re: [NTLK] Newton Arrived, problems...

From: David Abramowitz (david.abramowitz_at_verizon.net)
Date: Wed Jun 23 2004 - 13:30:47 PDT

On Jun 23, 2004, at 4:15 PM, Jared Bland wrote:

> Was my ability to make a cell phone ring with my Newton an anomaly
> then? I was able to hear voice, just not very well...

Ah, sorry I wasn't clear. What I meant was you cannot call someone with
your newton, and use your Newton as a phone, meaning talk to the other
party using the Newton's microphone. Sure you can make phones ring, but
the phone on the other end better say
"CHCHCHCHCHCHCHCHHHHHHWWWWWWCHHCHHC" (how's that for a modem answering
sound?)

> Can I install an ethernet card and have it work without specialized
> drivers I need to download?
> If so, I can then transfer wireless drivers onto the Newton and use a
> WiFi card with it.

Indeed, you've found yourself in the catch-22 of the "how can I connect
with Ethernet if I don't have the drivers? How can I get the drivers if
I don't have Ethernet to get them?" conundrum. The easiest solution is
to use a memory card that has the drivers on them, then copy the
packages to your internal store. I think there are some folks on the
list who have "loaner" cards for just such an occasion. Barring that, I
believe you can do the serial connection to the Mac without any special
drivers, then you can use a package downloader like NewTen or use NCU
on the Mac to get the drivers on your Newt. I prefer NewTen, because
it's simple, it runs on OS X, and did I mention it runs on OS X? That
should get you rolling. But until you get an Ethernet card or Wireless
card, you don't need any fancy drivers just to make a serial
connection. You should be fine with what's on the Newt - just use the
built-in Dock app, and connect serially to the Mac.