Re: [NTLK] On the topic of a new Newton...

From: Bruce E. Durocher II (bedii_at_qwest.net)
Date: Fri Mar 12 2004 - 10:23:51 PST

        This is out of the HIT lab on the University of Washington campus: you
probably read about it when they licensed the technology to an outfit
that was planning to build it into a set of glasses. The original is
built into a sort of console that you lean into--think of the headrest
an ophthalmologist has you lean into stuck on the top of a small
videogame cabinet and you're not far off. I think if you call ahead
and arrange for a tour of the lab they'll still fire it up and let you
use it--no blinded professors, grad students, or visiting firemen yet,
and I think the prototype has been running since '95...

On Thursday, March 11, 2004, at 06:31 PM, Marcus Andree S. Magalhaes
wrote:

> Maybe an eyeglass-mounted device could happen. Several years ago,
> I noticed a project somewhere whose goal was to build a small
> device that, when mounted in an eyeglass could beam 1024x768 color
> images right into the retina, from 3 semiconductor lasers (like
> trinitron tubes, I guess).
>
> Gee, I guess I'd use only with FDA approval. ;)

Bruce E. Durocher II
bedii_at_qwest.net