Re: [NTLK] More brainwipe paranoia

From: Humphreys, David (david.humphreys_at_honeywell.com)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 06:38:33 PDT

I just looked at the photos. The 'stuff' you are seeing is flux residue. The person who upgraded it didn't do a very
good job of cleaning up afterward.
In fact, you can actually see the brush strokes where it was either applied or some attempt at cleanup was made. It will
do you no harm unless it is an active flux. If this is the case, it will eventually corrode any traces it is in contact
with.

Wihtout actually seeing it close up it is difficult to say whether it is a rosin or water soluble flux. The white
residue makes me think it is water soluble. It's easy to find out. If it is removed with water it is a wash off flux.

DON'T GET THE X-ACTO KNIFE OUT YET!!!!

> > Maybe you could take a thin X-Acto knife and *carefully* cut
> > between the pins - trying not to dig into the PCB
> underneath. YMMV,
> > Standard
> > Disclaimer applies, etc.
>
> I'll try cleaning it with some isopropyl alcohol first, resorting to
> something like an X-acto knife afterwards.

Alcohol will work too. Just be careful that you don't transport contaminants under the chips.

Post some photos of the flash chips so that the pins can be clearly seen.

Regards,

PCBman