Re: [NTLK] einstein -> antelope -> oqo? RANT ALERT!

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Sun Oct 03 2004 - 11:27:12 PDT

>> OQO is nice but seems like massive overkill - if you have a full PC
>> why bother turning it into a PDA ?
> its a different concept - no need to sync.

   But sync with *what*? If the OQO is basically a full PC, then you
could have a PDA that synced with itself? (Given dual booting OS).

   I think the OQO would be nice - overkill is never a bad think IMO,
though some ways of *using* it can be - think of what you could do with
that 'overkill' for Newton-through-Einstein: really-high bitrate MP3's,
MPEG-video playback, all while still taking notes and doing a
background search on a soup that contained megabytes of information,
while downloading news with InkSpot from the web, over WiFi, while
simultaneously serving webpages wirelessly through that same WiFi
gateway.

   Okay, maybe that was a *bit* over overkill. I'm not sure the Newton
object heap would handle a soup that was megabytes big. Nor am I
entirely sure how well InkSpot and NPDS would play nice together. (And
of course, this might require NS multithreading unless NPDS runs in
it's own task, and NS multithreading is currently not possible)

Jim