Re: [NTLK] WWNC & Einstein

From: smoerk (smoerk_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sat Sep 11 2004 - 01:57:56 PDT

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 05:17:20 +0200, Paul Guyot <pguyot_at_kallisys.net> wrote:

> Basically a subset of the question might be:
> - should we work on JIT emulation and run on any PDA with any processor?
> or
> - should we work on porting Einstein for natice code execution on
> ARM-based PDAs?
> or
> - should we work on porting Einstein for native code execution on top
> of an open source POSIX-compliant operating system (like NetBSD or
> Linux)?

native code execution on ARM-based PDAs would mean Einstein is
restricted to one or very few devices? i guess they are nore
developers for familiar linux than Newton developers and familiar
linux only supports the most popular PDAs (and not always every
hardware feature of a model). so i guess it would be a lot of work to
support several models and write all the drivers.

native code execution on POSIX would mean that you need a ARM
processor(?). This would exclude x86 tablet PCs, wouldn't it. question
is: would people like to use a tablet PC as a newton replacement? I
guess we will see more and more small-sized Tablet-PCs like the Sony
U50 and U70.

How much performance would you lose in running the JIT emulation on an
ARM processor (Pocket PC)? If it is below 50% (and could be improved
in the future), I would vote for the JIT.

--
Oliver T.