Re: [NTLK] WWNC & Einstein

From: K. J. Hallenius (iluvatar_at_fusemail.com)
Date: Sun Sep 12 2004 - 13:15:39 PDT

On Friday, Sep 10, 2004, at 20:17 US/Pacific, Paul Guyot wrote:
> - should we work on JIT emulation and run on any PDA with any
> processor?
> or
> - should we work on porting Einstein for natice code execution on
> ARM-based PDAs?
> or
> - should we work on porting Einstein for native code execution on top
> of an open source POSIX-compliant operating system (like NetBSD or
> Linux)?

As a fellow who's used three PDA OSes (Newton, Palm, and Psion), I'd
say that you should aim for a native code execution. Emulation is
always slower, and less elegant, and buggy.

There are native programs on the Palm and Psion machines that do most
everything that I can do on the Newton, but never as smoothly nor as
intuitively. Thus, I often wish I could just take the new hardware that
Sony or Palm makes and have the good ol' Newton OS to interact with.

I vote for the native code execution.

-Ken Hallenius
Portland-in-Oregon, USA