Re: [NTLK] new Newton 120 user with newbie questions

From: Ron A. Parker (RAParker_at_Quadzilla.NET)
Date: Fri Sep 17 2004 - 10:09:15 PDT

On Friday, September 17, 2004, at 08:46 AM, Dan wrote:

> I should point out that a smaller card would be better. The simple
> reason is the larger the card, the more heap is taken to keep track of
> the memory on the card. Weather it is used or not.

I have notice a small decrease in available heap when my 28MB card is
inserted. But the difference is not really that much. On a reset, I see
about 55,580 free heap. Removing the card, I have about 64,256 free.
Before my 28MB card, I had a 2MB card. I don't recall there was all
that much difference with that one either (other than having very
little free space on it).

I keep my card inserted the majority of the time. I only have to do a
full reset (to free the heap) about once a week for everyday tasks.
When I want to do some serious text editing with fast recognition, I'll
freeze some stuff, unfreeze other stuff, and do a reset anyhow, to get
a clean start.

I will admit that I've only used 7MB of my 28MB, including a backup of
my internal memory. So, an 8MB card is plenty room to have a maxed out
Newton 120. But, on the other hand, having 20MB of free space for other
fun stuff (chess, poker, ebooks!) is certainly worth the 9K and $35.

Ron

--
Mail for Mac OS X. Cyberdog for the 21st Century.
--
    |\ | @ Quadzilla.NET