Re: [NTLK] einstein -> antelope -> oqo? RANT ALERT!

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Thu Sep 30 2004 - 13:39:30 PDT

>Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:09:37 -0400
>From: Laurent Daudelin <Laurent_Daudelin_at_fanniemae.com>
>
>On 30/09/04 10:57, "Bubba Gump" <basdiscussions_at_earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > http://www.oqo.com
>
>Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! That's a vulgar PC compatible running a scaled down
>version of Windows XP! You can even see the "Recycle Bin" at the bottom
>right of the picture shown in their main page. How could somebody use
>something like this?

Laurent,
        There are countless people who "like" this on their desktop, and apparently they like it so much that they want all the little gizmos they "need" to look and act the same, see Pocket PC, see Windows Mobile... YES! THERE ARE people who are not fed up about windows enough yet for NOT ALSO wanting it on their cellphone. Maybe that goes for a concept of convergency, I have no idea. They suffer and they do not like it, but they fail to break out of their "I have no clue but I do use it" world far enough to even choose a non-proprietary format for exchange. They don't care, because it "works, more or less" and "everybody does it this way". Because they are not really interested. They fail to grasp the enormous influence the piece of plastic and silicone on their desk has on their lives, they fail to realize how much power they themselves and their wallets inherit, and they fail to see how much better they could do had they just developed the attitude to try and better what bugs them.
        You may take any number of any creature and throw the bunch into a dark, deep pit full of black slime and... unspeakable things, no light, and nothing but worms to eat and dirty water to sip. Upon returning after a given time you will find that one of the creatures has become king of the pit, and the others will go fetch worms for it. So basically, even in a totally rotten situation, this beast will be better off, and why? Because it developed the attitude to better its personal situation. Your typical WinDrone obviously lost or never had this basic pattern of behavior / indicator of evolved intelligence, and I cannot tell you why this is, we should have our water checked.
        From another point of view, man has a strong tendency towards self-destructive action. How much coffee did you have today? You will probably stop having excessive amounts of coffee once your body really starts to act up, as you have a built in ability to sense when things get serious and/or out of hand. Maybe this just means that the level of pain inflicted by windows and its ugly offspring is not yet painful enough.

*argh*

        On the OQO - pfrt, it's a micro-notebook without a hinge, so what? Do you see anyone doing anything productive with this thing on the go? A smart solution would have a smart interface designed for mobile use, a small processor so it runs for more than 30mins, some ram/flash, and a decent HD. When hooking it up to full size computer that computer would use & display the files on the HD, basically providing just a big screen and more power combined with a smart interface designed for stationary use, and it would still be a useful computer once you left. All your data would always be with you, and you would always have the interface that works best in your given situation. But since there countless people unwilling to adapt to different interfaces for different situations, even if to their advantage, as they have too much trouble already working out *one* interface, and lack interest, there is no such device.

I am bitter today.

Oliver

--
Twenty years ago we worried about a nuclear strike by the Russians, now we worry about a nuclear strike by a General Protection Fault or a Blue Screen of Death. We've come a long way, baby. / AsTheAppleTurns on http://makeashorterlink.com/?G28812E39 / Honey, do we still have the keys to the fallout shelter?