Re: [NTLK] Monopoly (The Game) for Newton OS?

From: James Wages (james_at_kiramek.com)
Date: Sun Apr 10 2005 - 20:21:04 PDT

On 4/11/05 10:23 AM, Adamson_at_aol.com wrote:
> I have a big problem with sanctimonious folks...
> criticizing someone for their efforts.

Alas, the disharmony continues, even in the face of a price decrease.

Who, may I ask, was "criticizing"? Or perhaps we need to define the word
itself. Certainly, there was no vicious criticism by anyone toward the
author of Newtopoly. The only thing that did take place was a public
analysis of the issue of pricing for this one piece of software.

What is wrong with freedom of speech?

Indeed, if the word "criticism" can even be used here about what has
appeared on this list in the past week, one could effectively argue that it
has emanated from those who wished to maintain the status quo. And for some
reason, the feathers of status-quo-proponents were ruffled a bit when
someone else brought up the potential benefits of change.

> No one is forcing you to buy anything.

Nor you.

Again, what is the harm in simply talking about these things in an open
forum? Why must someone go into a closet and contact the author in secret?
This is not chronic complaining or needless moaning we are talking about
here. It is a free and open and logical discussion of a valid issue.

I read things every single day that I disagree with, but I don't feel
compelled to get all bent out of shape about it.

The fact remains that the price went down and many here have expressed joy
over it. Those who rejoice should hardly be villanized simply because they
were pleased at the recent change.

> Nor do they owe you anything for any reason.

Nor you. Who ever said we were "owed" anything? Obviously, I am not seeing
your point.

> You do not have a right to share someone's efforts
> without their consent. The operative word is consent.

I need consent from Mr. Bush to talk about his political positions?

I need consent from my local grocer to discuss his price of New York steak
in a public internet forum?

Again, where is freedom of expression?

Also, I am confounded at how anyone in this list could share or monetarily
"profit" from the modest price decrease that was made at the sole discretion
of the seller!

Folks if I am wrong, please instruct me, but I had thought this list was
rather open and free to all members of the Newton community. I was not aware
we needed "consent" before being given the "right" to speak.

> Feel free to express any opinion, but be
> open for the firestorm if someone disagrees.

Alright, so you admit this is a free and open forum. But you appear to not
like it that way. Or no, let me backtrack and think objectively here...
Maybe you *do* want this mailing list to be free, but "free" insofar as it
enables you to participate in the aforementioned "firestorms." But you have
that right -- even without my consent!

Let's try to think more constructively about these matters. This whole
discussion on one piece of software was initiated with the intent of
producing a positive benefit for others. That benefit now exists due to the
kind-hearted nature of the author. As I have said before, my thanks go out
to him for doing so. And I am not alone in thanking this gentleman. If
supporters of a price decrease were indeed so wrong, why did the author make
the conscious decision to reduce the price? He had complete freedom of
choice. No one was beating his door down. No slanderous remarks were made
about him on the web. A suggestion was made, and he decided to follow it.
End of story.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but we don't have to seek the
utter destruction of others (via "firestorms") to get our position set in
stone. There is too much sadness, distress and general evil in this world
as it is. May we strive to be more open-minded and optimistic about change
in a spirit of love toward our fellow man.

For the record, I hold no ill-will toward you, nor any of the many who have
disagreed with this pricing issue. We have enjoyed the right to a free
exchanged ideas. Let freedom reign.

Best,

James Wages