Re: [NTLK] Package Extraction from Newton to PC or Mac?

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Wed Apr 13 2005 - 13:12:56 PDT

Sonny Hung wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm just wondering if there is any application(s) that are able to
> extract an application from the Newton NOS (2.1) to the PC or Mac?
>
> I see that there is one for NOS 1.x on UNNA but nothing I can find
> unless I'm missing the boat completely when searching on UNNA or
> Googling...

The oft-cited example is PkgBuddy, for which you need to install a special
package on your Newton and then use their client software. Serial for PC/Mac
or AppleTalk on Mac.

http://www.tactile.com/packageBuddy.html

I never had really good success with packageBuddy. My NewtDump program can
also extract packages, PC only though:

http://www.chuma.org/code/newton/newtdump/

You'll also need Sloup, and a serial connection.

You can also mail packages with Mail V or SimpleMail. This is probably easier
if you already have them installed and setup.

Finally, if the package you want to export has the 'protected' bit set, you
can't beam/move it unless you install EEUnProtect:

http://www.unna.org/view.php?/utilites/system_enhancements/EEUnProtect

Steve Weyer also has a rundown of such utils:

http://home.comcast.net/~saweyer/newton/toolinfo.htm#PkgBuddy