Re: [NTLK] Package Extraction from Newton to PC or Mac?

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Wed Apr 13 2005 - 13:52:27 PDT

> The oft-cited example is PkgBuddy, for which you need to install a special
> package on your Newton and then use their client software. Serial for PC/Mac
> or AppleTalk on Mac.
>
> http://www.tactile.com/packageBuddy.html
>
> I never had really good success with packageBuddy. My NewtDump program can
> also extract packages, PC only though:
>
> http://www.chuma.org/code/newton/newtdump/
>
> You'll also need Sloup, and a serial connection.
>
> You can also mail packages with Mail V or SimpleMail. This is probably easier
> if you already have them installed and setup.
>
> Finally, if the package you want to export has the 'protected' bit set, you
> can't beam/move it unless you install EEUnProtect:
>
> http://www.unna.org/view.php?/utilites/system_enhancements/EEUnProtect
>
> Steve Weyer also has a rundown of such utils:
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~saweyer/newton/toolinfo.htm#PkgBuddy

Another tool you might try is EETransfer at
http://www.easter-eggs.com/newton/ It does require some space, but only
for the main program and the terminal. Then you can send packages to
any term program (desterm, hyperterm, etc) on your desktop via zmodem
transfer. Of course if it has the protection bit, you will have to turn
that off first. I have done this for a stubborn package or two. It
takes a LONG time by comparison but it does work.

-Dan