[NTLK] LPR Printing Question - not a newbie

From: Zoont Foomby (zoontf_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 18 2005 - 19:58:53 PDT

Well, I'm new to the list, and new to the Newton, but not to LPR printing.

My home office has a TekTronix Phaser 560 Color Laser printer hooked
up to my network via a PhaserShare network card. Its IP address is
192.168.0.124. The print queue name to send data to is PS (or PCL if
printing PCL data). All of my other computers can print to it fine.
The newton cannot.

I have a Newton MP2100 which I just bought two weeks ago. Very happy with i=
t...
NOS 2.1 (717260)-1

I purchased a Wavelan Wifi card to hook up to my wifi network. My WAP
is not an Apple WAP, but surfing the web in Newt's Cape seems to be
working well enough... (although Google doesn't seem to dispaly a
search form... is that right?)....

Anyway - the Newt is on the net, DHCP is working for it obviously
(since it can surf).

When I try to print a note from the Notes app I do the following

Print->(Choose Printer with above settings)->Print Now->Connect
Wavelan Internet etc.->...

Then it connects and starts to print and gives an error:
"
Print:
Error -60047 encountered
"

The first time I tried printing there was a different outcome - it
never printed, but it showed this icon of a page of paper that was
half black and half stippled gray or white or something, and waited
for a while, before finally saying "disconnecting".

If I enter an incorrect print queue I sometimes also get just "An
error occurred" or something vague like that.

Anyway, it is not working like it seems it ought to.

Now, my first thought was, does my Newton have a print queue? Maybe
something is mucked up there or jammed (yes, I work with Winblows
machines a lot where this happens regularly).

Then there is this thought: my printer works perfectly for all UNIX
operating systems (most of my computers) but when I configure a
Windows machine to access it, I have to increase the default timeout
for communications with the printer, because it is older and slower,
or else Windows fails to print to it properly. Is there any sort of
timeout setting in the LPR driver I can muck with?

Does the -60047 mean anything to anyone?

Thanks for the help,
I'm sure you'll be hearing a lot more of me in the months to come.

Yay Newton.

-Nicholas Floersch
-zoontf_at_gmail.com

---