Re: [NTLK] we may see an apple phone afterall

From: Clayton Mitchell (claytonmitchell_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Apr 19 2005 - 06:25:45 PDT

This is the problem with the music industry. They blew it to begin with
and when a viable "legal" business model actually works, they complain
that they can not price gouge. I know I am a little off kilter, I have
been boycotting the music industry (CD pricing) since 89. But these
factors (CD pricing)are what that led to the file swapping situation in
the first place. The music industry still does not have a handle on
file swapping and then bitch that they can not set the market for
digital music downloads. Well boo hoo! They blew it. Napster was 80%
of the way there when it came to selling music. They had the technology
and the user base and were switching the model. They were trying to
work with record companys and tell them how good this could be for the
industry. The company's wold not listen and killed them. And like the
hydra of lore many more heads sprung up to take it's place. I think
what apple is doing by putting the customer first and actually pricing
music to compete with the free file swapping is a good thing, for the
customer, for the music industry, and for apple. I have no sympathy for
the record labels they have made there bed now they can lie in it.