[NTLK] Newton VideoPhone software (IrDA communication software)

From: MKow1234_at_aol.com
Date: Tue Apr 19 2005 - 06:54:30 PDT

April 19, 2005

Some folks have been posting questions about 'VideoPhone' after I mentioned
it in one of the Michigan Gathering posts. There really isn't any documentation
to speak of for this application.

Basically, what you do is install the app on two Newtons. Then, you open the
app in each MessagePad with the IrDA 'eyes' pointing toward one another. You
can draw pictures and send written messages back and forth between two Newtons
in 'near real time' over the IrDA. I believe the software will work with the
eMate as well as the MPs.

I have attempted to connect THREE Newtons, but of course, the extra traffic
just confuses things. They all seem to connect for a second, and then the
connections gets dropped. Apparently, it only works with TWO Newtons at a time.

I would LIKE to see this software developed further, so that folks could
perhaps carry on such near real time communications over the Internet. Or, perhaps
the code in this app could be combined with the code from the Serial Mouse
thing we've been discussing, to create an even better Newton-to-desktop
communication interface. Who knows? Maybe nobody knows. Maybe 'Kasko knows. Frank
PROBABLY knows (Frank knows everything). I definitely don't know. I'm just an
armchair theorist...

BTW, I sent a polite letter of inquiry to the software development company
that evolved from the developer of this application. Perhaps we'll get lucky and
get access to the application's source code.

[A brief aside: See how easy it is to get involved and get people thinking
about Newtonian development? It's not hard. It only takes a tiny part of the day
away from testing poutine recipes, bassoon practice, or in my case, job
research. People make it sound like its so tough to get involved. I know youse
folks got larvae at home to take care of, and jobs, and household chores, and
other things. You don't have to commit your entire life to the Newton; even a tiny
effort is far better than total ambivelence. Lots more folks just lurking and
reading that could be taking up our noble cause in some way, shape, or form.]

Warmest regards,

Matt the K.