[NTLK] First Newton ever (and first post)

From: Charlie Ranlett (enigmaticmunkie_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Apr 24 2005 - 17:47:23 PDT

I just subscribed, hopefully I'm using this thing
right.
Anyways, I bought a MessagePad 2000 off of eBay and
should be getting it by Monday or Tuesday. However, it
looks like I'll be stuck with the "bootstrapping"
problem, as the guy didn't have the interconnect cable
and I don't have a PCMCIA modem card to do the modem
to modem thing.
I've been looking around and know that Ethernet and
other networking cards require driver software to work
(which I can't get onto the Newton, of course) but
would a PCMCIA memory card work? Some of those small
4MB "EDGE" type II inline cards (Like this:
http://i5.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/07/bb/9f_1_b.JPG) show
up on eBay every once in a while, and if they don't
require drivers, I'm hoping I could use my PowerBook's
PC card slot to transfer packages onto the card and
then onto the Newton.
I do have an older PowerBook with an IRda port, only
it has system 7.5.something and I don't have the SCSI
converter cable I need to use my OS 8.5 installer CD,
so that option is out for now.
If there are any other low to no cost options for
getting my Newton connected and compatible with easier
connection methods, let me know too.
Thanks
Charlie