Re: [NTLK] Mac Network card

From: Richard Kilpatrick (dmc12_at_btconnect.com)
Date: Sat Aug 13 2005 - 17:03:53 PDT

On 13 Aug 2005, at 19:04, Martin Joseph wrote:

> On Aug 13, 2005, at 10:49 AM, Mr. David M. Ensteness wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> With PowerMac 7/8/9600s selling for around $25-75 and Beige G3s
>> selling for $30-80 in various conditions there really is little
>> market for anything made before the iMac. Even PowerBook prices which
>> normally hang high forever have finally dropped off. Wallstreet G3s
>> are fetching $100, Lombards around $300 on the highend, Pismos still
>> $300-500 in some cases. Any PowerBook without a native G3 and *some*
>> OS X support are basically just special interest at this point.
>>

> In a way it's good news! It means for a short amount of money, you =20=

> can
> upgrade your sons mac to a newer, much better system... The powermac
> G3 blue and white is what I recommend as it's fairly cheap now (about
> $100), and has pretty much all you need to run up to date software.
> Including built in ethernet!
>
> If you insist on wanting an ethernet adapter for your 6200, I do have
> one, contact me OFF LIST.

Just to sort of back-up the sentiments here; Apple's 5200 and 6200 =20
are amongst the worst Macs ever made, with an architecture that makes =20=

them fiercely slow (you're better off with an old LC575). Anything =20
would be better for network use.

I used to have a 5200. I still have nightmares about it.

One thing that is possible, if you're strangely attached to it - find =20=

the motherboard from a 6500 or something. They're usually =20
interchangeable (but I'm not sure about 6200s as they're desktops; if =20=

the motherboard is the same slide-in design as the 5200, then it will =20=

be).

Richard

--=20
Group Sales Manager/Technical Editor for Icon Publications Ltd.
=832 Magazine, Master Photo>Digital, Minolta Image
Formerly Freelance Photographer, Master Photographer/Digital
http://www.freelancephotographer.co.uk